We passed a motion to support the AFT resolution supporting creation of a Task Force to support inclusion of labor in k-12 education. The Task Force to include NEA, AFL-CIO and other allies.
We passed two motions submitted by the People of Color Caucus:
- “In light of the AFL-CIO Executive Council’s document ‘Resolution 2: A Diverse Movement Calls for Diverse Leadership’, we move that UALE do education around this document & try to move this resolution within unions.”
- A resolution that UALE develop institutional partnerships with Workers Centers. Motion seconded.
We passed the following proposal from the EBoard:
“We propose the formation of a UALE task force to study the structural and financial challenges of the organization in response to the concerns and suggestions raised at the mid year meeting of the Union and University-based Labor Education directors. Those suggestions included a more robust communications function, regional meeting schedules, and the hiring of staff to help the organization function at a higher level with greater impact. We propose that the task force be composed of 4 current UALE Executive Bard members, and 3-4 volunteers not currently on the board. The task force is charged with presenting a report that outlines options and makes a set of proposals at the next mid-year EBoard meeting to be held winter 2010.”
We set up a Nominations/Elections Committee to prepare for next year’s EBoard elections. Yvonne Scruggs-Leftwich volunteered for the Nominations/Elections Committee.
An New Executive Board was elected (See below and Executive Board Directory page of this website)
Four new Working Groups were created: K-12 Labor Education, On-Line Education, Popular Education, and Working Writers.
Resolutions were passed in solidarity with the struggles of Mexican electrical workers and mineworkers, and in suport of the DREAM Act and students who have been targeted for deportation.
We approved a modest dues increase.
- Electronic devices silent
- Go to microphone if you want to speak
- Listen and debate with respect
- Time Limits – 5 minutes for reports and 1 minute to comment
The conference evaluation will be on “Survey Monkey”
Our next conference will be at the Westin in Pittsburgh, Pa. from March 21 to March 25, 2012.
The following members appointed for the Conference committee: Carol Anderson, Carla Insinga, Verlene WIlder, Deb Kidney, Jim Dunphy and Helena Worthen*.
D’Arcy Martin reported on efforts to set up our 2013 Conference in Toronto Canada.
A motion was made, seconded and approved that our 2013 Conference be held in Toronto, Canada.
Treasurer, Dawn Addy proposed a budget 2012. A motion to accept the budget was moved, seconded and approved.
The following members appointed for the Web Redesign Committee: Tracy Chang, Tess Ewing, Susan Moir, Maureen Rizzi, Cheryl Teare*, Joe Vargo, Marquita Walker and Mike Wisniewski.
Cate Poe delivered her pdfUpdate on UALE Membership Drive from Cate Poe (583 KB) .
The following members were appointed to the membership committee: Sally Alvarez, Elise Bryant, Bob Bussel, Lynda Deloach, Mary Alice Heretick, Joan Hill*, Cathy Howell, Lynda Deloach and Maureen Rizzi.
The Women’s Committee reported that there were 47 participants at their luncheon. The caucus decided to recommit to the “Women’s Summer Schools” and establish a funding committee. Monica Boris-Bielski reported that the caucus decided to send a “Fact Finding Tour” of the Avondale shipyard. The following resolution was offered by Tess Ewing.
That UALE give our official endorsement to the fact finding delegation to Avondale being organized by the “Women’s Caucus” , so that it will be recognized as an official UALE delegation.”
The resolution was approved.
Immigration and Globalization
The ”Immigration and Globalization” working group suggested that and Immigration and Globalization track be established.
- “ pdfResolution on Future Work on the Cananea Copper Strike by UALE ” was moved, seconded and approved.
- ” pdfResolution to Halt US Funding of Union-Busting and Repression by the Mexican Government (81 KB) ” was moved seconded and approved, with one dissenting vote.
- ” pdfResolution to make Interpretation an Integral Part of Future Conference Planning (144 KB) ” was moved, seconded and approved.
Are working on next year’s conference issue but they need submissions.
CLC Working Group
A meeting is scheduled later in the day.
Online Education Working Group
Spoke about increasing our presence and guarding against abuses.
Workers of Color Committee
A meeting is scheduled later in the day.
- ” pdfResolution to Support the Mobilization Against the Attacks on Workers Rights ” was moved, seconded and passed.
- ” pdfStatement in Solidarity with the Students, Staff, and Faculty of the University of Puerto Rico (176 KB) ” was proposed by Jose Soler. Acceptance was moved, seconded and passed.
The following members were appointed to the nominations committee for the election next year: Joe Berry, Linda Sneed, Rae Sovereign* and Cory Taliaferro.
Bob Bussel reported that at the lunch the attacks on Public Service Workers’ were explored.
It was suggested that members visit “People for Corporate Tax Breaks” for an entertaining view of government finances in Canada.
*designates the chair of the respective committee throughout
Adjourned 6:10 pm.