SEIU State Council Director (RI)
Based in Providence, RI
OVERVIEW:The four Local SEIU Unions within Rhode State Council together represent over 5,600 members in the health care, public, and property services industries. The Council is part of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), which is the fastest growing union in the country. In coordination with the Locals and the International, the RI State Council is responsible for developing and implementing joint issue, legislative and electoral campaign plans that incorporate aspects of field, advocacy, communications, research, coalition-building, and union member engagement.
Purpose of Position:
The State Council Director will guide and direct the council to develop and execute strategic plans that advance the goals of the member locals, which include SEIU 32 BJ – District 615, SEIU 401, SEIU 580, and SEIU 1199 New England.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Bringing the Local unions together in a common external program to build political power in our industries and influence issues of joint concern.
- Winning issue and electoral campaigns of strategic importance, which improve the lives of union members and all workers.
- Leading the development of electoral tools, tactics, and materials to win political elections.
- Assisting Locals in developing political capacity through volunteer member political organizer programs, fundraising programs and PACs, staff development, voter registration, and list management.
- Developing working relationships with and holding politicians accountable on issues and commitments, in conjunction with each Local.
- Building coalitions with other issue, community, and labor organizations.
- Coordinating earned and paid media campaigns in the Council’s issue, legislative, and electoral campaigns.
- Coordinating major actions and events, as directed by the Council.
- Organizational operations and development, including budget management, financial and other reporting requirements, research, writing, public speaking, preparation of reports and staffing the Council Executive Board.
Scope and Nature of Supervision:
The Director will report to the State Council President, and is accountable to, the State Council Executive Board. The Director position is salaried and serves at the discretion of the State Council Executive Board.
Successful candidates for this position must demonstrate excellence in verbal and written communication, well-developed analytical skills, critical thinking skills and the ability to excise professional judgment independent of daily oversight. A B.A. or advanced degree is not a requirement of this position, but will be favorably considered in the application process.
Previous Work Experience(s):
At least four years, of professional experience in organizing, politics, campaign management, coalition building, and/or union organizing, non-profit organization, or campaigns to advance workers’ rights or social justice. Specific and successful experience in the following areas is preferred:
- Grassroots organizing
- Organizing on legislative, issue, and/or union campaigns
- Working with or putting together coalitions around issue campaigns
- Electoral campaigns
Demonstrated skill and effectiveness in the following is required:
- High level of leadership and judgement. Ability to work independently and in consultation with organizational leaders in complex political situations.
- Understanding of grassroots organizing techniques, membership organizations, and political power
- Work as part of a coalition and build agreement around goals, plans and commitments.
- Develop and maintain a budget and other administrative responsibilities. Properly complete reporting and other legal requirements by deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills.
Salary and Benefits:
$53,000 -$70,000 salary depending on experience. This job includes a generous benefits package including pension, health care, and other benefits.
Please submit a cover letter and resume which includes your practical and formal background and experience.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Rhode Island SEIU State Council encourages applications from a wide spectrum of gender, ethnic and racial groups.